This pesto is delicious, featuring tangy garlic, fragrant fresh basil, and a zingy hit of lemon. Best of all, it is super easy to whip up – it only requires three steps to make! Enjoy this with pasta, as an accompaniment for Minestrone or Tuscan bean soup, or simply spread on a slice of sourdough toast.
- 15g fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 15g garlic, roughly chopped
- 50g pine nuts
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 15g pecorino romano, finely grated
- ½ lemon, zest only, finely grated
- 1 tsp lemon juice, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Grind the basil and garlic in a mortar and pestle or food processor to release the natural oils.
- Add the pine nuts and lemon zest and grind again.
- Once combined, add the olive oil to make a paste and grind in the pecorino. Add a squeeze of lemon and season to taste.